My name is Irene Melo.
I do all things UX (User Experience) related, often wearing a Business Analyst or Product Manager hat.
Things I do include:
- customer research
- requirements elicitation
- create user stories; design user journeys
- prototype and mock-up (Adobe Photoshop, HTML, CSS, Balsamiq)
- expert walkthroughs; usability testing
- SEO, content copywriting
- iterative/continual improvement
- challenge people out of their comfort zones
- questioning decisions; advocating customer evidence-led decision-making
I have done consultancy work on UX and SEO and have been involved in the decision-making for strategic decisions in these areas, mainly relating to Web-based solutions.
I’ve got a very pragmatic approach to work and I embrace challenges with a calm spirit and a can-do attitude.
With my work I help improve an organisation’s image, help them communicate more effectively with their customers, and save on costs, by analysing customer behaviour online and addressing their needs, allowing them to complete tasks using a less costly and (virtually) omnipresent channel (the Web).
I am an Open Data enthusiast.
I love cats, tea, and reading. I can combine all these things together in perfect harmony.
I’m also a bit of a geek and a published writer.
And I live in Cambridge, UK.
Talks and conferences
- Sep 18, UX Cambridge conference (programme committee member)
- Jun 18, UX Scotland conference (official blogger)
- Sep 17, UX Cambridge conference (programme committee member and attendee)
- Sep 16, UX Cambridge conference (programme committee member)
- Mar 15: Service Design in Government 2015 conference (official blogger)
- Jun 14: The Development and Release of Windows XP + Retro Games Night event at the Centre for Computing History (organiser)
- Jun 14: UX Cambridge 2014 conference (programme committee member and official blogger)
- May 14: Service Design in Government 2014 conference (official blogger)
- Nov 13: UX Brighton conference: The Psychological Foundations of Design (attendee)
- Aug 13: My UX Journey, talk for the Cambridge Usability Group, at Microsoft Research, Cambridge (speaker)
- Mar 13: Chompy Chomp Chomp: an Indie Game Journey, talk by Utopian World of Sandwiches for Anglia Ruskin University computing students (organiser)
- Mar 13, What users don’t say: research techniques for effective customer insight talk by Paul-Jervis Heath, Head of Innovation at University of Cambridge (organiser)
- Feb 13: When less is more: Lean UX presentation to Cambs County Council employees (speaker)
- Jan 13: Web technologies presentation to the Research Group at Cambs County Council (speaker)
- Nov 12, UX Cambridge conference (programme committee member and attendee)
- May 12, Data Mash-up (open data event co-organised with Software East)
- Apr 12, Using Open Data and Crowdsourcing to develop CycleStreets talk by Martin Lucas-Smith (organiser)
- Nov 11: UX & Product Management session at UX Cambridge conference (speaker and attendee)